National Public Viking

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

\m/ Throwing up the devil horns to Man on the Hill

It's the National Day of Slayer, but I have the feeling I was the only one celebrating at the office today. For the uninformed, Slayer is one of the greatest metal bands... ever. Slayer's right up there with Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Emperor (sorry, Metallica, you ripped off Slayer almost your entire career... poorly). The date is significant, 06/06/06, when stripped of zeroes is "666," the so-called Number of the Beast (great Iron Maiden song, by the way) during the Apocalypse. The number "666" is mentioned only once Bible (Rev. 13:16-18), but all the same, metal's association with the southern lord makes it a headbanger's holiday.

I celebrated by walking to work with Slayer's Reign of Blood on the iPod and walked home to Deathspell Omega (great French band Jace recommended to me) and Black Sabbath's "Sunday Bloody Sunday." Once I finish up some writing, I'll be listening to Burzum, Iron Maiden, Napalm Death, Venom, Electric Wizard, and Bathory.

My homemade t-shirt:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Me making my most grim metal face:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


In office news, I'm slowly starting to understand exactly what I'm doing this summer. Next week, the Open Mic podcasts I'm working on now will be downloadable (they're all artists from the previous intern, but one of them's fantastic. His name is Brice Fillici).

At the end of the day, I sat in on an All Songs Considered session where I met host Bob Boilen for the first time. Let's just say it was a heckuva lot more professional than the off-the-cuff Liner Notes program Phillip and I did for half a year (we had some pretty on shows, though).

1 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you today and wishing that I could see somebody kill a dog and blame it on Slayer.... (as your parents say ?Who is this girl?") just kidding, but I'm glad you rocked it out.

I saw one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life and wished fervently the whole time that you were next to me in the most uncomfortable theatre seat I've ever been in.

It's a foreign film, yes, but one of which you and Mr. Smola would highly approve : Black Orpheus. More later.

This is Helen, I forgot my blogger password.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home