National Public Viking

Friday, February 02, 2007

You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg? Oh, proclaim that roast pork loin!

|current sounds| Grant DJ-ing on WUOG

Saw these while buying a tuna salad sandwich from the upstairs cafeteria and given my obsession with thai food as of late (Jamie and I can make a mean green curry chicken), I had to try them. Don't believe the lie that is Spicy Thai because it's actually quite weak in that regard. More like a polite slap on the tongue than that climatic scene in Oldboy where, well, maybe I'm taking the simile into a place it shouldn't go (if you've seen Oldboy, you know what I'm talkin' about). BUT the ginger is righteously flavorful, something that I'm tasting (and still enjoying) even two hours after consumption. Plus, Kettle Chips always has that great, hearty, thick crunch that always makes me look at a bag of Doritos with derision.

In addition to the curiously (and disturbingly) morbid Cyanide & Happiness, I now also read the Achewood comic on a daily basis (thanks to the convenience of RSS feeds). I stumbled across "Ray's Stupid Cell Phone Conversation" and was immediately hooked. Like most of the humor that forms my own, it's outrageously, sometimes violently absurd and surreal. Also, quite, how shall I say, decidedly manly? (As Ashley would often comment, that is such "boy [insert music, movie, etc. here].")

Simultaneously, Chris Onstad (the author and inker) began two music-based series that each lasted two weeks: the Mister Band plot and the Story of Rustmouth and Silent Bird Wallace, possibly the best fictional blues singers names ever (both link to the initial stories, check the Nov./Dec. 2006 archives for more). Both are somewhat intertwined, but I would love to see Rustmouth's story fleshed out as it's one I think could earn a Peabody Award (are graphic novels eligible for such an honor?).


Notes On A Scandal:
  • Cate Blanchett is HOT in bangs.

  • I have never been more terrified Judi Dench in my life. Nobody should smoke a cigarette like that. Goodness.


  • I do not hate the new Of Montreal album. (Yes, that was hard to admit.) Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? is all about Kevin, Kevin, Kevin and ooohhh is he mad! It's the angry post-punk kick in the pants that boy needed if he thought he was going to get away with ABA-format synth-pop songs on Sunlandic Twins. Dig especially on "The Past Is A Grotesque Animal," the twelve minute kraut-disco rant that gets downright NOISY: overbloated synths and a pissed-off former twee-popper spewing hate. I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Kevin. (Does he kinda look like Adam Ant in that photo?)

    2 Comments:

    At 9:14 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

    last year for my birthday my grandparents too me and phillip to tamarind on 14th street .... oh my goodness. best thai food EVER. expensive, but worth it on a special occasion.

    i like those chips too!! i never eat chips, but of the few times i have in the past year one of those times i had those thai chips and LOVED them!

     
    At 11:53 AM, Blogger tuppenhut said...

    I never eat chips either, but the best are plocky's red beans and rice chips.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home