National Public Viking

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Bull's Eye, Indeed

|current sounds| Xiu Xiu- Women as Lovers

Ladies and gentlemen, D.C. has arrived. We have a Target and it's just a few blocks away. Best Buy, Marshalls, and Bed Bath & Beyond are all next. I no longer have to drive to Prince George's County to experience suburban bliss.

Tomorrow night I go to Las Vegas to see Padmini and Braniff for the weekend. This is beyond exciting.

This is my life next week... except I'll be enjoying it from the comfort of my office desk, producing concerts and generally not interacting with the real world much. Though, to be honest, the last time I went to a multi-day festival (2002?), I spent more than half the time just meeting lots of cool people. Bands suck.

Recent listens:
+ Imaad Wasif- Strange Hexes: Jimi Hendrix-meets-The Zombies kinda psych-pop. I'm a believer.
+ Gary Louris- Vagabonds: The Jayhawks' co-songwriter's first solo outing and it's every bit as charming as Hollywood Town Hall and Rainy Day Music.
+ Big Dipper- Supercluster: The Big Dipper Anthology (disc 1): '80s power-pop I never heard of until this Merge 3xCD reissue. Top notch stuff I bet members of the Arcade Fire ripped off and hoped nobody would find out.
+ Stars of the Lid- And Their Refinement of the Decline: Beautiful ambient/neo-classical double-disc I missed out on last year. Exactly what I was looking for... swooning string arrangements, blissed-out electronic drones.... lovely.
+ Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot: Pulled this out a couple weeks ago and couldn't remember the last time I listened to it. Picked up on a lot of the subtle stuff Jim O'Rourke put in the background and my it was a great discovery.
+ Klondike & York- The Holy Book: Sax/drums/electronics free-jazz duo. Maybe not the most original thing out there, but hell it's a lot of fun, a rare treat in a genre that takes itself way too seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home