National Public Viking

Monday, June 19, 2006

Theodor Adorno had safety pins in his fedora

|current sounds| West Wing on the tee-vee & Brian J. Davis "Every Work of Art is an Uncomitted Crime" from the Minima Moralia EP (download the whole EP here. Best punk record ever put out by an art snob.)

Michael, Jamie, Nathan, and I all went to Georgetown Sunday afternoon for some lunch at Pizzeria Paradiso. It took us an hour to find such a place since three quarters of Georgetown is too expensive for lowly paid interns (makes you think about the fact that Georgetown is the only area of D.C. without an accessible metro stop, right?).

Here we are practicing our interviewing skills for our upcoming Intern Edition stories (link to last year's program).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Michael, our fearlessly fake interview subject, sang French arias and shared a story of foreign affairs... the romantic kind.


Afterwards, three of us saw A Prairie Home Companion, the nerdiest of films for three National Public Radio interns to attend. Robert Altman really was the perfect man to direct. Both Garrison Keillor and Altman have such a unique sense of fantasy that skeeters on reality that skims off another fantasy. Most people would call that pretentious and they'd be partly right, but I think the best art is the kind that's not necessarily easily recognizable. Altman captures that beautifully. It'll probably be my favorite movie of the year.

A high-end dog food company used "I Think I Need A New Heart" by the Magnetic Fields in a commercial. I find this quite amusing. Great song, though.

New season of Project Runway on July 12. Heck, yeah.

2 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger tuppenhut said...

First of all, I am glad you are addressing the new season. I am still trying to come up with a way to extensively cover this since there are new twists - like a new location, different prizes, different product placement, etc. Secondly, I'm glad you liked PHC. I was worried about it, and now I can go see it with a little more confidence. But don't start slapping the "best movie of the year" label around until you see Friends With Money. Sure, it's a little estrogen-y, but so are Project Runway and all your Broadway musicals.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Lars Gotrich said...

My fellow interns and I already have Project Runway parties set up. Considering this blog will become a feature on the "Intern Edition" (intern-produced 60-minute program) website, I probably couldn't go into crazy detail about Heidi's latest dress, but I'll certainly write about the show.

And don't take my word on movies. I don't watch that many. I always critique movies like I do music or books. But I'll have to see Friends With Money... and don't knock my love for Broadway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home